Minutes of The Inaugural General Meeting of the Just Able Friends Charity held on 16th May 2015 at 11.00 a.m. at the
Tamarisk Centre, Littlehampton, BN17 5HT
- Welcome – David Jones opened the meeting and welcomed all present.
Present: David Jones; Iain Leslie; Chis Leslie; Nik Leslie; GladysBeaton; Audry Smith; Kenneth Hatton; Barry Spalding; Jean Barden; Magaret Gough:
Apologies: were received from Erick Jack, Jaqui Beech and seven others un-specified.
- Appointment of CHAIR -PERSON for this meeting – David Jones nominated Iain Leslie as Chairman for this initial meeting only in order to commence proceedings. There being no objections, Iain Leslie was appointed as Chairman for this meeting only.
- Opening Address David
- Jones – David Jones referred to his own his own history and his time as Chairman for WSAD and concluded that since its demise locally there has been a significant gap in voluntary provision for disabled people. It is envisaged that ‘Just Able Friends’ will be able to fill that gap in provision and provide a range of services for people who experience social isolation.
- Presentation of the draft constitution for adoption – Copies of the draft constitution had been made available to all present and comments and corrections were invited. Iain Leslie pointed out that the constitution in its present form was based on the format suitable for small charities with an annual income under £5,000 that don’t own a building or employ people and do not intend to register with the Charity Commission. It is therefore best described as a social club with members and managed by a management committee.
- It was unanimously agreed that subject to these when received in writing, that the draft constitution be adopted.
- Membership rules/expectations Iain Leslie suggested that these would be minimal – but the minimum age for membership would have to be 16 years (in order, for example, to participate in prize bingo!).
- Election of officers
- Chairman – Iain Leslie proposed and Margaret Sangs seconded that David Jones be nominated as Chairman for the first General Committee Meeting to be ratified by those present at that meeting.
- Secretary / Administrator – David Jones proposed and Barry Spalding seconded that Iain Leslie be appointed as Secretary/Administrator to the Management Committee
- Treasurer / Book Keeper – Iain Leslie proposed and David Jones seconded that Barry Spalding be appointed as Book Keeper.
All nominations and appointments were accepted and agreed.
- Election of Management Committee – All those present were invited to attend the first management committee.
- Any Other Business a session of QUESTIONS from the floor was opened and comments noted.